
Escape to Paradise: El Potrillo's Colombian Countryside Retreat
Escape to Paradise: El Potrillo – My Chaotic Colombian Countryside Confession (and Why You NEED to Go!)
Alright, let's be honest. I'm writing this review after a few days of pure, unadulterated bliss at El Potrillo, the Colombian countryside retreat. I'm still slightly sun-drunk, probably smelling faintly of fresh coffee and maybe… well, let's just say I haven’t quite gotten around to the "laundry" part of daily life yet. (Shhh, don't tell.) Anyway, this isn't your average hotel review. This is a full-blown, messy, gloriously imperfect account of my experience. And yeah, it's got SEO in it, 'cause I want you to find this place and go! So buckle up, buttercups.
First Things First: Getting There (and My Near-Disaster)
Accessibility: Okay, so the website says things about accessibility, and I did see an elevator… but look, I'm not the best judge. I was too busy staring at the landscape to pay super close attention to wheelchair ramps. Maybe contact the hotel directly for specific details; they're usually really helpful. Accessibility is Key.
Getting around: Airport transfer. They have an airport transfer! Thank god, because after battling Bogota traffic (seriously, it's a thing!), I’d have paid anything to be whisked away to the tranquility. The driver was super chill, played some local music, and basically acted as my first stress buster.
Okay, Here We Go! The (Mostly) Wonderful World of El Potrillo:
Rooms, Glorious Rooms! (And a Tiny Incident Involving a Squirrel…)
Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
My room… oh, my room. I booked a "double" (because solo travel is great, but let's pretend I have someone special for at least the booking, right?) and it was… well, let's just say I could have hosted a small wedding in there. Seriously, the space! And the view! Rolling hills, the odd cow wandering past (a definite highlight), and the most comfortable bed I’ve ever encountered.
Wi-Fi [free] was a godsend. Free Wi-Fi, people! Necessary for the Instagram stories of the landscape. Internet access – wireless, was also available. Important.
Rooms sanitized between stays: Absolutely immaculate.
Oh, and the aforementioned squirrel incident? Okay, so there was this tiny, adorable (but slightly cheeky) squirrel who may have tried to sneak into my room via the open window… only to be thwarted by my sheer, unadulterated screaming. It was a close call. But hey, proof that the windows open! And the blackout curtains are AMAZING for sleeping in after a wild night of… uh… reading.
Cleanliness and Safety: Feeling Secure, Even with the Squirrel Threat!
Cleanliness and safety: Spotless. The staff were ON IT, constantly cleaning and disinfecting. Even the air felt… cleaner?
Anti-viral cleaning products: Yep, they’re using them.
Rooms sanitized between stays: Absolutely.
Hand sanitizer: Everywhere. My hands have never been so clean.
Daily disinfection in common areas: Check.
Staff trained in safety protocol: You could see it. They took everything seriously but still managed to be super friendly. Hot water linen and laundry washing
Safety/security feature: Smoke detectors, security [24-hour], CCTV outside property, CCTV in common areas.
Spa, Sauna, and… My Transformation into a Butterball…
Spa/sauna, Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]:
Oh. My. Goodness. The spa. I spent a solid afternoon (and I mean solid) floating between the sauna, steamroom, and the outdoor swimming pool. The pool… with a view! I'm not the biggest spa person usually, but this place converted me. I got a massage, which I think literally unknotted every muscle I didn't know I had. I even braved a body wrap. I’m pretty sure I emerged a new, more relaxed version of myself.
Things to do, ways to relax,
Things to do: Besides the spa, the grounds were amazing for a walk. There are trails, (car park [free of charge]), places to sit with a book (I didn’t manage to read much, though… too busy gazing!) and just breathe.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food, Glorious Food (and My Endless Pursuit of Dessert!)
Dining, drinking, and snacking, A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant:
Okay, let’s talk food. This is where El Potrillo really shines. The breakfast buffet was a work of art. Forget the sad continental breakfasts of your past. This was full-on: fresh fruit (those mangoes!), pastries, eggs cooked every which way, and strong, delicious coffee. I may or may not have gone back for seconds (and thirds…).
Breakfast in room: You can also have breakfast delivered to your room. I may have indulged.
Room service [24-hour]: Available.
Restaurants: there are several, with a varied of selection .
Desserts in restaurant: Crucial. Absolutely crucial. The desserts were… let’s just say they contributed significantly to my increased waistline. Worth it. Every. Single. Bite.
Poolside bar: Cocktails by the pool? Yes, please! The happy hour was a dangerous temptation.
Service and Convenience (The Little Things That Make a Big Difference)
Services and conveniences, Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center:
The service was impeccable. The staff? Absolutely charming, always smiling, and genuinely helpful. Contactless check-in, Concierge service, and a general feeling of being utterly pampered.
Services and conveniences: This is where they truly go above and beyond. The little things – like a convenience store for snacks, a gift shop for souvenirs, and the fact that there's always someone to help with your luggage – made the experience so much smoother.
For the Kids (I didn’t bring any, but…!)
For the kids, Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal:
I’m not a kid person (don't judge!), but even I could appreciate the family/child friendly vibe. There were babysitting services available, and I saw some kids having an absolute blast in the pool.
The Verdict: Book It. Now.
So, let's cut to the chase. El Potrillo is not perfect. No place is. But its flaws are minor, and the good far outweighs the bad. The food is incredible, the spa is divine, the rooms are luxurious, and the service is top-notch. It’s a place to truly escape, to disconnect, to relax, and to forget all your worries – even if for just a few days.
Why You Should Book (and Not Second-Guess Yourself!)
- Stress-Free Escape: Everything from the airport transfer to the room service is designed to eliminate stress. (Plus, the complimentary tea is chef's kiss.)
- Stunning Scenery: The Colombian countryside is breathtaking. Wake up, breathe it in

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into El Potrillo Casa Campestre, Villavicencio, Colombia. Forget the perfectly polished travel brochures; this is gonna be a messy, glorious, and utterly human experience. Here we go… (deep breath)
Day 1: Arrival, A Rusty Gate, and Existential Mosquito Battles
- Morning (Sort Of): Landed in Villavicencio. Let me tell you, the airport smelled like… well, I'll spare you the olfactory details. Let's just say it was "rustic." Got a ride from the airport to El Potrillo. The drive? Beautiful, mostly. Rolling hills, vibrant green, the works. Then, BAM! We arrive at the Casa Campestre.
- The Gate: Honestly, the entrance gate looked like it had seen better decades. Rusty, a bit crooked, almost seemed to be judging me. I half expected it to creak open with a ghostly "Welcome, traveler…" Maybe the gate set the stage for the raw authenticity?
- Check-in Chaos: The staff, bless their hearts, were incredibly sweet but there was a delay with my room. I think they were short-staffed. Found myself in this weird limbo, wandering around the common area, feeling like a slightly lost, sweat-soaked stranger.
- Room Revelation: The room… well, it was spacious, yes. Mosquitoes, dear lord, the mosquitoes. I swear those little bloodsuckers had been waiting for me, personally! I spent about an hour waging war with my trusty bug spray. Victory: partial.
- Lunch, Glorious Lunch: They had this lunch service. It was supposed to be a light lunch but the portion sizes were massive. I ordered the local delicacy, Bandeja Paisa, and I think I'm still full. It was like someone had emptied the kitchen onto my plate. SO. MUCH. FOOD. Good food, though!
- Afternoon Nap and the Pondering of Life: Okay, the food coma hit HARD. After that monster meal, I retreated to my room for an emergency nap (those pesky mosquitoes were still buzzing, though). Woke up feeling deeply philosophical, staring at the thatched roof, and pondering the meaning of life, the universe, and why mosquitoes chose ME.
- Evening: Sunset, Cocktails, and Confessions: Chased the sunset (which was absolutely STUNNING) with a cocktail by the pool (mosquitoes: still present, but I was armed now). Started chatting with a Colombian family. They were warm, friendly types, and they gave insights into the local customs and the rhythm of life in the area. We ate empanadas at the bar and the laughs came easy. I confessed to them my mosquito trauma. They found it amusing.
- Night: the sounds of the Jungle and the feeling that I'm definitely not in Kansas anymore. The night was alive with the sounds of the jungle. Frogs croaking, cicadas buzzing, the rustle of unseen creatures. It was both thrilling and slightly unnerving. I spent a good portion of the night trying to decipher exactly what was making those weird noises.
Day 2: Riding Horses, Rainstorms, and Existentialist Horsesickness
- Morning: Horseback Riding, an adventure that I will never forget. A horse. I've ridden a horse once or twice in my life, but this time it was more authentic. The staff at the camp set up a whole day of riding, trail trekking and sight-seeing. I fell a little bit. I was sore for the rest of the day, but I would do it again. The scenery changed so fast, I felt that these are really the hidden, unexplored places on earth.
- The Rain: The rain came. It came down in sheets. We all ran for cover under whatever we could find. It was a torrential downpour, absolutely biblical in its proportions. Found myself huddling under a flimsy awning with a bunch of other drenched travelers, feeling simultaneously miserable and exhilarated.
- Lunch, the second round: Another giant lunch. This time, I went for the arepas. The food here is ridiculously good.
- Afternoon: Back to the Room, Contemplation of the Rain: the rain continued all day. I spent the afternoon in my room, journaling and watching the storm. It was an incredibly calming, almost meditative experience.
- Evening: The Mosquitoes Come for Revenge: The clouds finally parted. The mosquitoes, however, had clearly used the downtime to formulate a retaliatory strike. The evening was a full-blown mosquito frenzy. They were everywhere! I hid in my room.
- Night: Food, a little more, and sleep. I didn't want to risk another encounter with the mosquitoes, so I just ordered some of the hotel food and tried to enjoy it.
Day 3: Farewell, or "Is it over?"
Morning: After getting a great breakfast, it was time to go. It felt like I spent a whole week in the camp.
The Drive Back: The drive back to the airport was quiet. I felt a mixture of sadness to be leaving and relief to be escaping the epic mosquito wars.
Departure: Farewell, El Potrillo! You were a wild ride. The gate looked less judgmental on the way out, maybe because I was finally leaving.
Final Thoughts:
El Potrillo Casa Campestre is not a luxury resort. It's a real experience, with all the imperfections that come with it. It's a place where you'll face the elements (the good and the bad), eat a mountain of food, and maybe, just maybe, find a moment of peace. It won't be a perfect trip. It will likely be a bit messy, perhaps a little chaotic, but it will definitely be memorable. And hey, you might even develop a new appreciation for mosquito repellent. (I definitely did.) Would I go back? Absolutely! But next time, I'm bringing a Hazmat suit for the mosquitoes. 😉
Luxury Escapes Await: Pusan Halong Hotel's Unforgettable Hạ Long Bay Experience
Escape to Paradise: El Potrillo - Maybe? (My Messy Truth)
So, El Potrillo... Is it actually paradise or just another Instagram promise?
What's the vibe? Relaxed? Busy? Do people actually *relax*?
Tell me about the food! Is it as amazing as the pics suggest? Because, you *know*…
What about the rooms? Are they luxurious? Rustic? Do they have… *hot water*?
Let’s talk about those activities. The horseback riding… was it as romantic as it sounds?
Any major downsides? Anything I should be prepared for?
So, would you go back? The million-dollar question!
Final tip: What MUST I bring?

