
Salt Lake City's Hidden Gem: Uncover the Discovery Inn!
Uncover the Discovery Inn: Salt Lake City's Surprisingly Delightful Secret (Okay, Maybe Not That Secret Anymore!)
Alright, let's be real. Hotels can be… well, predictable. Boxy rooms, generic decor, and the lingering scent of industrial cleaner. But then you stumble upon a place like the Discovery Inn, and suddenly, you're doing a double-take. Is this a hidden gem? Potentially! Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But is it memorable? Oh, heck yes.
First Impressions and the All-Important Accessibility:
Finding the Discovery Inn in Salt Lake City was surprisingly easy, even for a directionally challenged individual like myself. My immediate thought was, "Thank goodness, this place actually has a decent parking situation!" The car park [free of charge] is a godsend, especially in a city where parking can cost you an arm and a leg. They also have a car park [on-site] so the option is there if you like convenience. Now, the exterior corridor setup threw me a little (it’s not exactly what I expected), but it makes sense, especially to me because I like going for a smoke now and then (don't judge!). The CCTV outside the property makes you feel somewhat safe, which I appreciated.
Accessibility: The Discovery Inn seems to be trying hard. They've got Facilities for disabled guests, a definite plus. While I didn’t personally check the ramps, the commitment is there. They also provide a service that gives you an airport transfer, which is ideal for anyone arriving.
Room Rumble and Wi-Fi Woes:
Okay, room time! The non-smoking rooms are a must for me, and the Discovery Inn delivers. Inside, you've got the usual suspects: air conditioning, a desk, a coffee/tea maker (essential!), a refrigerator, a hair dryer, and, hallelujah, free Wi-Fi. (Yes, Wi-Fi [free] is available everywhere, including Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!) I’m big on Wi-Fi, I used Internet access – wireless all the time. I would love to see Internet [LAN], but I didn't because I needed the Internet. There’s a laptop workspace which is very nice if you like to do work. It did take me a hot minute to figure out how to work the TV, but hey, satellite/cable channels are a win. The wake-up service worked fine, though I ended up sleeping past it once.
Here’s where things get interesting: The bathrooms weren't palatial, but the bathroom phone was a quirky touch. I also noticed the additional toilet and separate shower/bathtub, which is always a nice luxury. The linens were clean and the towels were fluffy, plus there was a complimentary tea! I took advantage of the Daily housekeeping, it was a nice touch too.
Now about the Wi-Fi: I've got to be honest, it wasn't always lightning-fast. I mean, it worked…eventually. But there were definitely times I was staring at that little buffering wheel, dreaming of a better connection. My thoughts were, "I needed the Internet access – wireless, c'mon!"
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Mixed Bag of Delights
Listen, I'm a foodie. And the Discovery Inn's dining situation wasn't exactly a Michelin-star experience, but it wasn't a complete disaster either. The breakfast was a solid Western breakfast, a breakfast [buffet], and even some Asian breakfast options. There was coffee/tea in the restaurant and a very decent desserts in restaurant. They also had a salad in restaurant.
They also had a bar, which was a nice place to unwind after a long day (hello, happy hour!). and they also had a poolside bar, which was also nice. The restaurants were nice, a coffee shop was also there. The poolside bar was especially pleasant. There was a snack bar too, so if you're a grazer, you're covered. There’s room service [24-hour] if you’re feeling lazy!
Things to Do (and Ways to Relax):
Okay, so maybe the Discovery Inn isn't a resort with a thousand activities. But they've got the essentials covered. There is a Swimming pool [outdoor], a pool with view, and even a Fitness center, which if you're a gym person, is a necessity. I didn't check out the Spa, but it's there if you're into the relaxation scene.
The Cleanliness and Safety Factor:
Let's talk about the important stuff: safety. They've got CCTV in common areas, smoke alarms, fire extinguisher, safety/security feature, security [24-hour]. They’ve adapted for the pandemic, doing Daily disinfection in common areas and providing lots of Hand sanitizer. They offered Rooms sanitized between stays and the staff seemed to be following Staff trained in safety protocol, which I really appreciated.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
The Discovery Inn gets points for the little extras. They offer Air conditioning in public area, a concierge, daily housekeeping, an elevator, facilities for disabled guests, laundry service, they have a meeting/banquet facilities, and even a smoking area, for those of us! The fact that they offer car park [free of charge] is a major win. I also found the convenience store a handy thing. The front desk [24-hour] gives you a lot of time.
For the Kids (and the Kids at Heart):
They seem to be family/child friendly, with kids facilities and a babysitting service.
My Crazy Love Affair with the Sauna (or, More Likely, a Really Hot Room)
Okay, so this is my moment. This is why I'm writing this review in the first place. The sauna at the Discovery Inn? Yeah, it's got me thinking about moving in. I'm not exactly a "spa person," but this thing… it was pure, unadulterated bliss. I’d spend a whole afternoon in there. Seriously, I'd sweat out all the stress of the day, then plunge into the swimming pool for a refreshing cooldown. It's one of those experiences that sticks with you, you know? A total win, a highlight, and a definite reason to return.
The Imperfections (Because, Let's Be Real, Nothing's Perfect):
No hotel is perfect, and the Discovery Inn is no exception. The decor is a little… dated. The Wi-Fi could use a kick in the pants. And, okay, yes, the view from my room wasn't exactly breathtaking (mostly a view of the parking lot).
But…here's the magic: The Discovery Inn makes up for those small flaws with its charm, its helpful staff, and the sheer, unadulterated joy of that darn sauna.
The Verdict & My Crazy, Emotional Recommendation:
Look, if you're looking for a sterile, corporate hotel experience, the Discovery Inn isn't for you. But if you want a comfortable, quirky, and surprisingly delightful stay in Salt Lake City, this hidden gem is totally worth checking out.
What I loved: The sauna! The friendly staff. The free parking. The decent food.
What could be better: Faster Wi-Fi. More modern decor.
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars. I’m already planning my return trip.
My Crazy, Emotional Booking Offer:
Tired of boring hotels? Craving a getaway that's full of character?
Book your stay at the Discovery Inn today and experience:
- The legendary sauna experience you won't forget! (Seriously, you'll be dreaming about it.)
- Cozy, comfortable rooms with all the essentials (and a few quirky surprises!) including Wi-Fi [free]!
- Food and drinks that will keep you happy and satisfied, from buffet breakfasts to poolside cocktails.
- Convenient amenities that make your stay a breeze, including free parking and a helpful staff.
- A friendly and welcoming atmosphere that will make you feel right at home.
But here's the kicker: Book now and get 10% off your stay! Use code "SAUNAMANIAC" at checkout.
Don't wait! This offer won't last forever. Escape the ordinary and discover the Discovery Inn. You won't regret it!
Escape to Paradise: Unforgettable Red Hawk Lodge Experience
Okay, buckle up, buttercups! This isn't your average, pristine itinerary. This is MY Salt Lake City survival guide, based on a hypothetical (and gloriously messy) stay at the Discovery Inn. Prepare for a rollercoaster…
Discovery Inn, Salt Lake City - The "I-Need-a-Vacation-From-My-Vacation" Edition
Day 1: Arrival & Déjà Vu (Plus a Mild Panic Attack)
- 1:00 PM (ish): Touchdown SLC! (The "ish" is crucial because let's be honest, flights these days are basically a game of airport roulette). Praying my luggage actually arrives. Praying harder that the TSA didn’t swipe my emergency chocolate bar.
- 1:45 PM (gasp!): Found the rental car. It’s… a beige sedan. My grandmother’s car in the 80s was cooler. Whatever. At least it has a radio.
- 2:30 PM: Arrive at the Discovery Inn. Okay, it's… well, it exists. The outside smells faintly of chlorine and hopeful promises of cleanliness. The lobby smells faintly of stale coffee and a faint desperation for more customers. The check-in lady, God bless her, looks like she’s seen things. We'll call her "Brenda." Brenda is wearing a nametag that says Brenda. She also has a look of exhaustion about her that seems to say, "Honey, you have NO idea."
- 2:45 PM: My room. Okay, it's… a room. Beige. Everything is beige. The curtains are beige, the walls are beige, the carpet is beige. It's a beige-a-palooza. It's like the hotel decorator had a deep, unsettling love affair with the color tan. The bedspread? Oh, the bedspread. It's thin and has an unsettlingly vague pattern that vaguely resembles… mold? I hope? No. No, I'm gonna be positive. It's a beige pattern!
- 3:00 PM: The bathroom. Oh, the bathroom. I have a strong suspicion that the showerhead predates the internet. Water pressure? Nonexistent. The soap dish has a suspicious stain. (Just try to find a hotel room that doesn't, I dare you). I start to question whether I have an allergy to everything in a 5-mile radius.
- 3:30 PM: Mild panic sets in. I forgot my phone charger.
- 3:45 PM: Locate the nearest convenience store. They're all conveniently located near the highway. A local family is walking in front of me. I'm starting to feel like I'm being watched. I'm imagining this as my new life.
- 4:30 PM: Return to the room, fully charged and ready to… what?
- 5:00 PM: Take a deep breath. Remember the chocolate bar! Emergency protocol activated.
- 6.00 PM: Dinner at… um… Oh no. Where do I even eat?
Day 2: Temple Square (and a Slight Existential Crisis)
- 8:00 AM (Okay, I slept! A win!): Attempt to wake up. The alarm (on my phone, thanks to convenience store heroics) blares its hateful tune. I drag myself upright.
- 8:30 AM: Breakfast at the Discovery Inn's "continental" breakfast. I use the word "breakfast" very loosely. Stale pastries with the consistency of cardboard, instant coffee that tastes vaguely of burnt tires, and a selection of questionable cereals. Okay, I'm officially starting to fear the hotel food. There must be an actual, real restaurant somewhere.
- 9:30 AM: Temple Square! (Tourist mode: ON). Those giant, impressive doors, those statues, the general feeling of "Oh, wow, this is… Mormon.” I try to keep my thoughts to myself. I'm a walking, talking heathen. My heart is pounding with a strange mixture of awe and mild terror. It's beautiful, but I'm pretty sure I'm also intruding.
- 10:00 AM: A tour. The guide (let's call her "Sister Mildred") has a voice as sweet as honey and an unwavering smile. She's also extremely thorough. I'm starting to think I should have brought more water. Sister Mildred's smile starts to crack, just a tiny bit.
- 11:30 AM: I find myself quietly questioning my life choices. Is this my destiny? To be a wandering lost soul? Is this where I should be?
- 12:00 PM: I escape. I flee Temple Square, feeling both enlightened and utterly overwhelmed. I need a very large lunch and a stiff drink.
- 12:30 PM: Lunch: Finding a real restaurant: a diner that looks like it’s seen some things. The food is gloriously greasy and the waitress understands my need for coffee.
- 2:00 PM: Wander around the city. I start to feel like that little grey mouse in the Disney movie. I feel like I'm supposed to be somewhere, but don't know where to go.
- 4:00 PM: Return to the hotel. I watch something on TV. It's not good. I watch something else. It's also not good.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. (See Day 1, 6:00 PM). I give up and eat the rest of my emergency chocolate. It's not working.
- 8:00 PM: Early bedtime.
- 8:30 PM: Wide awake.
Day 3: Red Rocks & Revelation (or, More Likely, Just Exhaustion)
- 7:00 AM: Alarm. Ugh.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast. I attempt to eat the pastry. I fail.
- 9:00 AM: Finally. The drive to Red Rocks. The mountains are pretty.
- 10:00 AM: Start walking. I'm not sure why.
- 11:00 AM: Realization. I am not in shape for this. So many hills. The air is thin. My legs are starting to ache.
- 12:00 PM: I. Need. Water.
- 1:00 PM: The view from the top is… indescribable. Truly breathtaking. A vast, beautiful landscape. I sit here. I breathe. I feel like I finally understand something.
- 2:00 PM: I start walking down.
- 3:00 PM: Oh. My. Legs.
- 4:00 PM: I think I’m going to die.
- 5:00 PM: Find a burger, a mountain of french fries, and a giant soda. I eat them all. I am a new woman.
- 6:00 PM: Back at the hotel. Feeling a strange and overwhelming contentment.
- 7:00 PM: I watch another bad TV show.
- 8:00 PM: I prepare for the flight tomorrow.
- 9:00 PM: I can't wait to leave.
Day 4: Departure (and the Sweet Taste of Freedom)
- 6:00 AM: Alarm – my least favorite sound on Earth.
- 6:30 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. See Day 1, Day 2, and all future days.
- 7:00 AM: Check out. Brenda smiles. "Hope you enjoyed your stay!" I give her a strained smile back. I don't want to lie.
- 7:30 AM: Drive to the airport. The beige sedan is no longer my enemy; it's my chariot.
- 8:30 AM: The airport. The lines. The security. The general chaos, but hey, I'm alive.
- 10:00 AM: On the plane. I wave goodbye to Salt Lake City. The city that broke me. the hotel that nearly broke me.
- 10:01 AM: I fall asleep.
Post-Trip Analysis:
- The Discovery Inn: It was… an experience. A slightly beige, occasionally depressing experience. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but hey, at least I survived.
- Salt Lake City: A gorgeous city, or at least, it seems, it's got some gorgeousness to explore. I felt a connection. I also felt like I was on the edge of a breakdown the entire time.
Would I go back? Maybe. Armed with a better charger, a different hotel, and a whole lot more chocolate. And maybe, just maybe, a better appreciation for beige. Perhaps.
Surya Boutique Hotel Klang: Your Unforgettable Malaysian Escape Awaits!
What *IS* the Discovery Inn, anyway? Seriously.
Okay, buckle up, 'cause this isn't the Ritz. The Discovery Inn, nestled (more like *squished*) into the… uh… *vibrant* heart of Salt Lake City, is what you'd call a motel, but with character. And by character, I mean, a whole LOT of it. Think of it as the dive bar of accommodations. You're not there for the fancy cocktails (or a freshly shampooed rug, let's be honest), you're there for the… experience. The *real* Salt Lake. The kind where you might hear a late-night jam session through your paper-thin walls. You might. Or maybe you'll just be kept awake by the train. It's a roll of the dice, folks. But it's *our* dice.
Is it... safe? Like, REALLY safe? I'm a little nervous.
Alright, let’s be honest. This is where things get… complicated. I felt a *tiny* bit on edge the first time I went. It's definitely not a sterile, corporate environment. The clientele is… diverse. You've got budget travelers, folks who seem to have *lived* there since the Reagan administration (seriously, I think I met one!), and… well, let's just say you might witness some late-night comings and goings. But I never felt truly *unsafe*. Mostly just… intrigued. The doors *do* lock, and the desk clerk, bless his soul, always seems to be watching. Always. Like a hawk. So, no, it’s not Disney World, but it’s not the Wild West either. Just… be aware of your surroundings. Carry a friend. And maybe avoid wandering around alone at 3 AM. Just sayin'.
The reviews mention "comfy beds." Is that... accurate?
"Comfy?" Hmmm.... Let's just say "functional." My first night there, I thought my back was going to snap in half. The mattress was… well, let’s call it "well-loved." Like, seriously well-loved. By generations of, uh, *sleepers*. But honestly, it really depends. Some rooms seem to get the "new" mattress, the ones probably from the back of the storage unit. Others… not so much. It’s a crap shoot. I'd pack a pillow and maybe a sleeping bag. Just in case. I’m not even kidding. But the important part is, you're *there*. You're in the heart of it. The *experience* overrides the slight discomfort.
What's the deal with the wi-fi situation? Do they have wifi? Will it work?
Oh, the Wi-Fi. Buckle up, buttercups. It is *a* Wi-Fi. It *exists*. Technically. You can *connect* to it. Eventually. Don't expect to stream Netflix. Actually, just forget about streaming. Think of the Wi-Fi as a metaphor for life in general. It's there, it's *trying*, but it's… a struggle. I spent one entire evening trying to load a simple webpage. I think I aged a decade. My advice? Embrace the digital detox. Read a book. Talk to your travel companion. Stare out the window at the passing trains. You might actually enjoy it. Plus, it's one less thing to be frustrated about.
Is there free breakfast? And if so, what's the spread like?
"Free breakfast?" *Deep, mournful sigh.* Yes. Technically. Picture this: instant coffee that’s been brewing since the Carter administration, a selection of pre-packaged pastries that look suspiciously like they've been around since your grandmother was a teenager, and maybe, just maybe, a bowl of slightly sad-looking apples. The real stars are the coffee and the plastic utensils. One time, I asked for cream and nearly fell over when the desk clerk (the same hawk-eyed guy) produced a little plastic foil cup. It was quite the performance! Consider it a test of your will. Or, you know, just pop down to the local diner. Which is what *I* do. Every. Single. Time.
Okay, so… why would anyone *choose* to stay at the Discovery Inn?
Ah, the million-dollar question! Okay, here it goes: it's not for everyone, obviously. You're not there for luxury. You're *not* there for cleanliness, even. *You're there for experience*, and maybe, just maybe, for that *sense of the absurd*. It has history, it has character, and it's cheap. Ridiculously cheap. And it's *close* to everything. Plus, if you're the kind of traveler who finds joy in the unexpected, who can laugh at a slightly-stained carpet and a questionable coffee, then you'll probably have a blast. Seriously, some of the best life stories start with, "Remember that time we stayed at the Discovery Inn...?" Trust me on this. It's a gritty, imperfect, and utterly unforgettable part of Salt Lake City. It's a conversation starter. It's an adventure. And the kind of place that makes you appreciate a *real* hot shower and a clean bed when you finally get back home. Embrace the chaos. You might just find yourself loving it. I did. After a couple of days. And a serious dose of hand sanitizer.
Any specific rooms I should avoid? Red flags?
Oh, this is where things get *juicy*. Avoid Room 107 if you can. Let's just say the previous occupants left *something* behind, and the smell… it lingered. For days. I'm not even going to elaborate. And whatever you do, inspect the bathroom *thoroughly* before you unpack. Check for… well, everything. I once found a… *thing*… in the shower. I'm still not entirely sure what it *was*. And if you hear a whistling sound in the walls at night, don't freak out. It's probably just the wind. Or the plumbing. Or maybe not. But mostly, just trust your gut. If a room feels off, ask for another one. The staff, while a bit… taciturn, can usually accommodate a request. Probably. Maybe. Cross your fingers.
Should I bring earplugs?
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Bring earplugs! Bring noise-canceling headphones! Bring a hazmat suit if it makes you happy. The aforementioned train? It's a constant, rumbling companion. The traffic? A chorus of honking horns. The other guests? Well, they have a right to exist, too, but you might wish sometimes they could express it a bit more *quietly*. Trust me on this. Earplugs are not an option; they are a *necessity*. And pack an extra pair just in case you lose one. You will thank me. Your ears will thank me. Everyone will be happier if youHospitality Trails

